Tips For Kids About Bullying
What is Bullying?
Bullying is unfair and one-sided. It happens when someone keeps hurting, scaring, embarrassing, threatening, or leaving someone out on purpose. Bullying may be physical, verbal, emotional or all of these combined.
Types of Bullying:
- Name-calling, put-downs
- Leaving someone out on purpose
- Hitting, kicking, and pushing
- Mean gossip or rumors
- Breaking or stealing belongings
- Cyber bullying through cell phones, texting or internet
Remember: No one deserves to feel unsafe at school
By An Ally
Sometimes when people see bullying behavior, they want to HELP, but feel scared and do not know what to do. Being an ally is standing up for what you believe is right, even if it’s not the cool thing to do. Here are some ideas to “get the word out” and help stop bullying.
- Get the person’s attention: “Hey! Can I talk to you for a second?”
- Keep it calm: “I know a lot of people say that, but…”
- Say how you feel: “That’s not okay with me.”
- Call it out: “That’s messed up.”
- Tell them what you want: “Please stop using that word.”
- Put a price on it: “If you keep doing that, I’m going to tell an adult.”
How to Deal with Bullying Behavior:
Here’s what you can do:
- Stay in a group: There is safety in numbers and friends
- Stand up to the person: Look them in the eyes and stand up straight. This is being assertive.
- Make a joke: Sometimes humor can remove the tension in a bad situation.
- Walk away.
- Tell and adult.
Remember, anytime you do not feel safe, or someone talks about bringing a weapon to school … GET AN ADULT IMMEDIATELY
Scared of your partner's ANGER?
Walking on eggshells? Hiding your bruises? Frightened for your kids? Trapped with no safe place to go?
Have you been RAPED?
Are you keeping it a shameful secret? Do you think no one will believe you? Do you believe it is your fault?
Were you MOLESTED as a child?
Does it still haunt you? Wondering if you will ever get over it?
End the Suffering
Call Us Now
24-hr Crisis Line 209-533-3401
or toll-free 1-800-454-4766